pfSense 2.6.0 is a firewall software used to monitor and control incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules, pfSense installs a physical computer or virtual machine.
Minimum Hardware Requirements for installing pfSense 2.6.0 Firewall
- CPU: 64-bit amd64 (x86-64) compatible
- RAM: 1GB or more
- Disk drive: 8 GB or larger
- Network interface: One or more
Demo environment (Virtual)
- CPU: 64-bit
- RAM: 4GB
- Disk drive: 10GB
- Network interface: 2
Install pfSense 2.6.0
Create a bootable DVD or USB installation media, insert it, and start your Computer. For VirtualBox, Hyper-V and VMware users only need to attach the ISO file during VM creation.
1. Read the License terms and agree to them and press Enter key.
2. Select Install – Install pfSense and press Enter key.
3. Select Continue with the default keymap and press Enter key.
4. Select Auto (ZFS) – Guided Root-on-ZFS and press Enter key.
5. Select Install – Proceed with Installation and press Enter key.
6. Select stripe – Stripe – No Redundancy and press Enter key.
7. Select Hard Drive and press Enter key.
8. Select YES and press Enter key.
It will ask you to format the selected disk, if it’s the new disk you should format or if it contains any important data that need to be backup before formatting the disk.
9. The installation should start, wait for it to finish.
10. Select No and press Enter key.
11. Select Reboot and press Enter key.
12. Type n and press Enter key. In our example, we did not configure VLAN.
13. Type pcn0 and press Enter key. In our example, we configured the pcn0 interface as WAN (Wide Area Network).
14. Type pcn1 and press Enter key. In our example, we configured the xn1 interface as LAN (Local Area Network).
15. Type y and press Enter key.
16. Choose option 2 and press Enter key to change the LAN IP Address
- WAN IP address will be assigned from DHCP.
- LAN IP address will be default as 192.168.1.1
17. Type 2 and press Enter key.
- 2) Set interface IP address
18. Type IP Address for LAN (Local Area Network) and press Enter key.
- LAN IP: 192.168.3.1
19. Type subnet mask (as in CIDR notation) and press Enter key.
20. Press Enter key.
21. Press Enter key.
If you configure the LAN IPv6 address enter the address.
22. Type n and press Enter key. In our example, we did not configure DHCP Server on LAN.
23. Type y and press Enter key.
After finishing the LAN IP address configuration, you are able to access the pfSense 2.6.0 web interface. Open a browser software, enter the IP address of your pfSense 2.6.0 firewall, and access the web interface. Enter the username and password and click sign in.
Default Username and Password
- Username: admin
- Password: pfsense