A read only domain controller (RODC) is a server that hosts read only partitions of the Active Directory database and responds to security authentication requests. This step by step tutorial covers how to configure read only domain controllers on Windows Server 2022. Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS) Stores information about objects on the network. ADDS domain is a logical container used to manage users, computers, groups, and other objects. Active Directory Domain Controller is a server that is running ADDS.
- Computer Name: server2.test.com
- Operating System: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
- IP Address: 192.168.3.4
- Domain: test.com
- Current domain controller (DC): server1.test.com
- DC Operating System: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
- DC IP Address: 192.168.3.3
- DNS Server IP address: 192.168.3.3
- Configure Static IP Address
- Configure Computer Name
- Install Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS)
Steps for configuring read only domain controller
- Promote this server to a domain controller
- Deployment Configuration
- Domain Controller Options
- Additional Options
- Review Options
- Prerequisites Check
1. Promote this server to a domain controller
Click Promote this server to a domain controller.
2. Deployment Configuration
Select Add a new domain to an existing domain and click Select.
Enter Username and Password (Domain Administrator) and click OK.
Select the Domain and click OK.
Click Next to continue.
3. Domain Controller Options
Select the forest functional level, and domain functional level, and Specify domain controller capabilities as per your requirement.
Type the Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM) password and click Next.
Click Next to continue.
4. Additional Options
Specify additional replication options and click Next. In this tutorial, we configure replication from any domain controller.
Specify the location of the AD DS database, Database folder, Log files folder, and SYSVOL folder (Keep it as the default location), and click Next.
- Database folder: C:\Windows\NTDS
- Log files folder: C:\Windows\NTDS
- SYSVOL folder: C:\Windows\SYSVOL
6. Review Options
Verify all the settings and click Next.
7. Prerequisites Check
Prerequisites need to be validated before ADDS is installed on this server. Click Install.
Once the Active Directory Domain Services configuration is complete you will need to reboot.
Open Server Manager Click Tools and Select Active Directory Users and Computers.
Select Domain Controllers and Verify the DC Type.